As POGO take over BPO Space,Ph offer Balik Probinsya for Pinoys,But China wants more of Metro Manila
POGOs, BPOs to fight for limited office space in Metro Manila - bworldonline.com
Pogo sector overtakes IT-BPO in office space use - business.inquirer.net
POGO demand brings Philippine office space take up to record high - gmanetwork.com
Chinese eye bigger slice of Manila as real estate prices tank - asia.nikkei.com
HOW CHINA IS PEELING THE PHILIPPINES LIKE A VERY BLIND CABBAGE -
2 Balik Probinsya returnees bring COVID-19 cases to 2 Leyte towns- newsinfo.inquirer.net
BARMM reports 11 COVID-19 cases among ‘Balik Probinsya’ students - news.mb.com.ph
Pogo sector overtakes IT-BPO in office space use
The fast-growing Philippine offshore gaming operator (Pogo) industry has overtaken the information technology-business process outsourcing (IT-BPO) industry as the biggest market for new office space in Metro Manila.
This is according to David Leechiu, chief executive officer of Leechiu Property Consultants (LPC), a leading real estate services firm.
Pogo workers are mostly foreign, especially those working for entities targeting online gamblers in mainland China.
In the first nine months of the year, LPC estimated that Pogos accounted for 375,000 square meters (sq m) or 38 percent of new office demand, compared to the IT-BPO sector which took up 294,000 sq m or 30 percent.
LPC expects new office takeup in Metro Manila to replicate if not beat last year’s 1.2-million sq m record, aided by Pogos despite the controversies hounding the sector.
POGO demand brings Philippine office space take up to record high
Demand from Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) lifted the country’s office space take up to a record high in 2019, data released by Leechiu Property Consultants (LPC) on Monday showed.
Office space take up hit a record high of 1.7 million square meters this year, LPC chief executive officer David Leechiu said in a press conference.
Most of the demand came from POGOs, which accounted for 738,000 square meters of which 296,000 sqm were in Metro Manila—primarily in the Bay Area.
“We also see more demand from POGOs because the aggressiveness, the amount of business that wants to operate here in the Philippines, is growing more and more,” Leechiu told reporters in Makati City.
POGOs, BPOs to fight for limited office space in Metro Manila
THE Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) industry is expected to unseat the Information Technology and Business Process Management (IT-BPM) sector as the top office space occupier in Metro Manila by the end of the year, according to Leechiu Property Consultants (LPC).
In a press briefing on Wednesday, Leechiu President and Chief Executive Officer David Leechiu said that the POGO industry is projected to take up 450,000 square meters (sq.m.) of office space in Metro Manila by the end of 2019.
This will be driven by faster site selection process and the effect of Administrative Order No. 18, which noted that applications for office space within Metro Manila with tax incentives for BPOs will no longer be considered.
“We think that the POGO industry will overtake the BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) sector. For the first time in 19 years, the BPO sector is going to be number two,” Mr. Leechiu said.
In the first half of 2019, the IT-BPM still led the demand for office space in Metro Manila at 244,000 sq.m., with POGO take-up at 242,000 sq.m.
“Even with this moratorium in Manila, everyone now is scrambling to fight to lease the last 150,000 sq.m. of PEZA space in the market and right now, especially in Makati, they are competing now… for the same space,” Mr. Leechiu said, identifying the building as Century Diamond Tower owned by Century Properties Group, Inc.
At the current pace that the industry is growing, Mr. Leechiu said demand from the POGO industry is seen to grow at a faster pace compared to BPOs.
POGOs continue to prefer the Bay Area, with 139,000 sq.m. of office space taken up in the first half. These companies also took up office space in Makati City (46,000 sq.m.), Quezon City (40,000 sq.m.), Ortigas (9,000 sq.m.) and Alabang (8,000 sq.m.).
Mr. Leechiu said once supply in the Bay Area is depleted, POGOs are seen to move to Quezon City, competing with IT-BPM industry.
Outside Metro Manila, POGOs have expanded to Laguna, occupying 46,000 sq.m. of space; 37,000 sq.m. in Cebu; 34,000 sq.m. in Clark, Pampanga; and 13,000 sq.m. in Cavite. Total employee count is currently at 354,000, bulk of which are Mainland Chinese.
The increase in Chinese workers has also fueled the leasing demand for residential condominiums in Metro Manila.
““Rental rates have seen an increase of up to 80% from three years ago in the Bay area. Prices of Studio units have increased from P18,000 in 2015 to P32,000 per unit per month in 1H 2019. One bedroom units have gone from P25,000 back in 2015 to P55,000 per unit per month while a two bedroom unit’s price rose from P55,000 to P90,000 per unit per month,” the LPC report stated.
Phillip Anonuevo, LPC executive director for commercial leasing, said they expect the POGO industry to add around 50,000 employees every year — “that is probably 10,000 to 15,000 units of apartments.”
On the POGOs’ growth forecast, Mr. Leechiu said that it will depend on government policies on regulating the industry.
“Depends how fast we allow them to grow here. The problem is not them, the problem is us. We’re the ones slowing them down because we need to regulate, we need to understand what it means, we need to see who they are, who need to know them, but the moment we have this familiarity with them, we will embrace them,” he said. — Vincent Mariel P. Galang
Chinese eye bigger slice of Manila as real estate prices tank
Locals fear being left out as market correction risks forcing quick sales
Colliers International, an industry consultant, says Manila real estate prices are poised to slump by 15% this year amid the worst economic downturn in over 30 years.
CLIFF VENZON, Nikkei staff writerJune 5, 2020 16:27 JST
MANILA -- Chinese property investors are eyeing a bigger slice of the Manila property market amid falling real estate prices triggered by the coronavirus pandemic.
HOW CHINA IS PEELING THE PHILIPPINES LIKE A VERY BLIND CABBAGE
Photo Source: Duterte says Xi Jinping offered him an oil and gas deal to ignore South China Sea ruling https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/12/asia/duterte-xi-south-china-sea-deal-intl-hnk/index.html?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3Y6TbJF5zZ9xTO027J4vU4lQND86Oe3wxUPPPSSD3-ZVp6UWkwAHTaYiE
I am impressed with China’s strategic approach to gaining global power. I don’t like it. But I am impressed.
China uses small steps unrestrained by laws or matters of fair play, kindness, or respect. She does not need an army. She has agents on the ground. Filipinos, in the Philippines.
When push-back occurs, she criticizes the people pushing back, side steps, and continues forward. It is relentless, it is successful, it is the cabbage strategy.
It’s awesome to behold.
It is so successful that the Philippines is like an unaware frog in boiling water, only it is a cabbage.
And China is peeling the Philippines one leaf at a time like a very blind cabbage.
The first thing China did was find willing agents in the Philippines. It was like establishing a beach-head, the place from which invasion could be launched. How did she recruit these agents? Promises? Money? Power? We don’t know.
But we can see one thing clearly. These agents are not acting in the interest of Filipinos. They are gifting seas and fish to China, jobs to China, economic opportunities to China (high interest debt, construction employing Chinese workers, casinos, Boracay, Marawi, reclamation space in Manila Bay), letting mainland workers in by the millions on shady work permits, welcoming Chinese military ships and planes in Davao, gifting prize developments . . . including a Chinese telco . . . to Dennis Uy, and seating Bong Go in the Senate.
Speculative you argue? Hmmmm. Clearly the Philippines’ acceptance of China in Philippine seas is fact. And we can witness former DFA Secretary Cayetano blaming the Aquino Administration for making China mad about Scarborough. It’s as if China were the patriot and Aquino the villain. (See “Philippines, not Aquino, lost Scarborough“)
And 3 million new mainland Chinese immigrants? That is fact. And Dennis Uy’s amazingly fast rise to oligarchic riches, or Bong Go’s insertion into the Senate on unethical terms (using public resources and premature campaigning). Fact. A Chinese consulate office in Davao? Fact. Chinese military ships and planes visiting Davao? Fact.
These all advance China’s interests in the Philippines. They do not protect Filipino fishermen, laborers, public servants (like Aquino), people who like to eat fish directly from Philippine seas rather than imported from China at a mark-up, or future leaders who must deal with the damages being done.
The Chinese military rudely shout orders to Filipino pilots flying over Philippine seas to “get out”, and its Coast Guard ships chase Filipino fishing boats out of Philippine waters.
These are all cabbage leaves being peeled away, one by one, as Philippine sovereignty is reduced to a piece of tattered paper called a Constitution that her own political leaders disregard in favor of . . . well, their own well being.
2 Balik Probinsya returnees bring COVID-19 cases to 2 Leyte towns
TACLOBAN CITY –– Two municipalities in Leyte have logged their first cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) involving returnees of the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-Asa Program.
The Department of Health in Eastern Visayas (DOH-8) said the new cases involved a 21-year-old man, who returned to Jaro town last March 28, and a 32-year-old man from Tolosa town, who arrived on May 25.
BARMM reports 11 COVID-19 cases among ‘Balik Probinsya’ students
SULTAN KUDARAT – A total of 11 confirmed cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) was recorded by the Ministry of Health of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (MOH-BARMM) on Tuesday, May 26.
Health Minister Dr. Sarfullah Dipatuan confirmed that the new cases were from the batch of 16 students, who arrived in the province from Cebu last May 15 after they availed of the government’s “Balik-Probinsya” program for locally stranded individuals (LSI).
“Before, we only have one COVID-19 case who was also a student who came from Cebu, but now, 11 were added (on the cases),” Dipatuan said.