China Expands Mandarin Language to PNP & Filipino Teachers to teach Public Schools in Philippines

PNP eyeing Mandarin language courses amid spike in crimes involving Chinese



300 Filipino teachers to undergo training on teaching Mandarin


The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Confucius Institute to train 300 Filipino teachers on teaching Mandarin.

The DepEd said a memorandum of agreement was signed for the joint training of public school teachers for Master of Arts in Education, Major in Chinese Language Teaching (MAEd CLT).

The program aims to support the sustainable development of the Special Program in Foreign Language (SPFL)-Chinese Mandarin in public secondary schools.

The program, which targets to upskill 300 teachers in the next five years, will be implemented by the Angeles University Foundation of the Philippines and Fujian Normal University of China.

The MAEd CLT scholarship is designed for SPFL Mandarin teachers to enhance their language proficiency and their pedagogical skills in teaching Chinese Mandarin as a foreign language, according to the DepEd.

The two-year master’s degree program will include studying in China for six months.

During the signing of the agreement earlier this month, Education Secretary Leonor Briones stressed that proficiency in language is an indicator of quality education.

“This program is also in support of the efforts of the department in uplifting the quality of education in the Philippines,” Briones said.

Chinese embassy cultural counselor Tian Shanting lauded the DepEd for including Chinese Mandarin in the SPFL, noting that the agency is one of the key contributors in the promotion of friendly relations between the peoples of the Philippines and China.

In 2011, Chinese Mandarin was included in the SPFL of the DepEd through the partnership between the Confucius Institute and the Angeles University Foundation in Pampanga.

Some 310 Filipino teachers have been trained to teach Chinese Mandarin, according to the DepEd.

About 11,000 students from 93 public high schools have already studied Chinese Mandarin through the special program, it added.

Other languages being taught in select public schools through the SPFL include German, Spanish, French, Korean and Nihongo.


Source: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/12/15/1977078/300-filipino-teachers-undergo-training-teaching-mandarin


Removing Filipino in college to lead to 'cultural genocide' - group


Photo Source: https://varsitarian.net/news/20181215/compromise-on-keeping-filipino-subjects-eyed

A group of Filipino and Panitikan advocates warned Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin of dire consequences should the Supreme Court stick to its ruling affirming the exclusion of Filipino and Panitikan as core subjects from the college curriculum.

In its letter, the group Alyansa ng Mga Tagapagtanggol ng Wikang Filipino (Tanggol Wika) said if the high court affirms its decision, “Filipino and Panitikan will not only be killed as mandatory subjects in college, but Filipino will also be murdered as an effective medium of instruction.”

It said this will go against the Constitution’s “well-defined mandate for Filipino as medium of instruction at all levels of education.”


“We hope to still move the heavens and the earth to stop this imminent cultural genocide, the impending murder of our national language and local literature,” the group added, acknowledging that they filed the letter instead of filing a second motion for reconsideration, which is prohibited under Court rules.

The Supreme Court, in a unanimous vote in October last year, upheld the constitutionality of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Memorandum Order No. 20 (CMO 20) which removed Filipino and Panitikan subjects as part of the core college curriculum.


Anti-Filipino? Wrong, says CHED on Panitikan, Filipino exclusion

It upheld its ruling in a resolution dated March 5 this year saying CMO 20 did not violate the 1987 Constitution because it merely transferred these subjects to the curriculum of elementary and high schools.

The Court also ruled CMO only provides for the “minimum standards for the general education component of all degree programs” and does not limit the academic freedom of schools to offer additional courses on these subjects.

But Tanggol Wika said CMO 20 prioritizes the English language over Filipino and Panitikan, noting that the teaching of English language is still required in college.

It said this violates the Constitution which mandates Filipino as the primary official language and English as “merely secondary language.” It added the Constitution itself provides that English’s inclusion as official language may even be removed by law.

“It is a travesty to allow CHED to make a regressive move on language policy, when the Constitution mandates forward action, continuous progress in the process of cultivating the national language,” it said.

The group claimed CHED also ignored the opposition of the Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.

The group also warned that around 10,000 faculty members will be affected by the expected job cuts while millions of students will be deprived of their chance to expand and deepen their ability to use the national language “in a more intellectual way.”

The group invoked the words of Simoun, a character in national hero Dr. Jose Rizal’s novel “El Filibusterismo,” who castigated those who favored Spanish over Philippine languages.

“One and all you forget that while a people preserves its language, it preserves the marks of its liberty, as a man preserves his independence while he holds to his own way of thinking. Language is the thought of the peoples,” the group said.

The filing of the protest letter was accompanied by a brief protest action by around 20 members of Tanggol Wika.


Source: https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/06/10/19/removing-filipino-in-college-to-lead-to-cultural-genocide-group


PNP eyeing Mandarin language courses amid spike in crimes involving Chinese

Three units of the Philippine National Police (PNP) are planning to have their operatives take Mandarin language courses to better communicate with Chinese nationals involved in and victimized by crimes in the country.

PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said the national police is coordinating with its counterpart in China for the training of select officers of the PNP Drug Enforcement Group (PDEG), Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG), and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) on learning the Chinese language.


“We have noted a spike in the number of incidents [involving and victimizing Chinese nationals] so there is a need for us to add some more training on language proficiency,” he said in an interview with INQUIRER.net.

For instance, PNP records show that the number of Chinese victims of casino-related kidnapping cases rose to 33 in 2019, from 17  in 2018.


Specifically, recent crimes involving and victimizing Chinese nationals are those related to Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (Pogos) and other casinos, kidnapping, prostitution, and illegal drugs, said Banac.

The PNP is eyeing the language training in the first quarter of the year.  Banac said these units can enroll some of their personnel in language proficiency schools.


Two AKG officers have already finished Mandarin courses in the last quarter of 2019, according to Banac.

“PDEG will follow soon, and CIDG,” he said, adding that the PNP would welcome scholarships that might be offered by other institutions to help police officers learn the foreign language.



Previously, some police officers were trained in Korean language to better deal with crimes involving Korean nationals.

This, however, is no longer the trend, noted Banac, saying that Korean desks of the police are not as active as before following the decrease in the number of crimes involving Koreans.

He said the PNP and its counterpart in China had several bilateral training agreements in the past but none of these focused on language proficiency.


“This is something that we can look forward to have,” added Banac.

He also said the training is “urgent now,” especially with the Bureau of Immigration’s crackdown on Chinese nationals who illegally enter the country, in the wake of the alleged “pastillas” modus.

The scheme is said to be an illegal airport escort service catering to Chinese nationals who want to work in Pogos.

Currently, the Chinese Embassy provides few translators to PNP to help authorities communicate with Chinese suspects and victims, but Banac said it would still be better if those who can speak Mandarin are embedded within the police organization.

In the case of PDEG, anti-drug operatives use a mobile app that can translate English to Mandarin whenever they arrest a Chinese national in a raid or buy-bust operation, Lt. Col. Enrico Rigor, PDEG spokesperson, said in an earlier interview.

Once the case is filed in court, the Department of Justice will look for a prosecutor or representative from the Public Affairs Office who can speak Chinese and communicate with the suspect.

Rigor noted the tediousness of this process compared to normal arrests.

“Talagang mahirap ‘yun, considering nga na nasa democratic country tayo so kailangan mo talagang ibigay ‘yung rights nila, regardless of whether foreigner of local ‘yung naaresto (That is really tough, considering that we are in a democratic country, so we have to guarantee them their rights regardless of whether they are foreigners or not),” he explained.

PDEG, the prime police unit running after high-value drug targets, has eight special operation units (SOU) nationwide. Rigor said at least one officer who can speak Mandarin per SOU would be enough.


Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1237080/3-pnp-units-want-training-on-mandarin-amid-spike-of-crimes-involving-chinese#ixzz6FuBDy5iZ Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook


POGO workers' influx to PH 'directly' linked to rise in criminality - police


The rise in kidnapping and prostitution cases in the country is "directly" linked to the influx of Chinese workers to the Philippines, a high-ranking police official said Thursday, as a Senate panel looked into the connection between Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGOs) and a spike in criminality in the country.

Some 199 trafficked women were rescued from Chinese-run prostitution dens last year, said Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, Philippine National Police (PNP) Deputy Chief of Operations.


Of the rescued women, 173 were Chinese, including one minor, Eleazar said, while 59 of the 60 suspects arrested for their involvement in sex trafficking were Chinese.

"We did not have these kinds of operations 3 years before," Eleazar told members of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.

"The increase in crime is directly dependent [on] the number of Chinese nationals who arrived here," he told reporters in a separate interview.

Police also recorded 9 POGO-related kidnappings involving 16 Chinese victims and 38 Chinese suspects, he said.

If incidents involving physical casinos are considered, the number of kidnapping incidents will climb to 73 cases involving 80 victims abducted between 2017 and 2020, he said.


'CAUSE OF CONCERN'

Eleazar affirmed Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon's claim that the kidnapping syndicates have been "preying on Chinese businessmen engaged in online gambling."

"All of the victims are Chinese nationals. Perpetrators are mostly Chinese but in cahoots with some of the Filipinos here," Eleazar told reporters.

"It is a cause of concern for all of us... Sa pagdami nila (Chinese) dito, pati na rin 'yung ibang businessman nagke-cater na din sa ibang pangangailangan ng ibang Chinese nationals, not just the restaurant and other recreational concern, but pati na rin 'yung prostitution kasi nagdadala na din sila ng entertainers from abroad," he said.

(With the increase of the Chinese here, even other businessmen are catering to the needs of Chinese nationals, not just the restaurant and other recreational concern, but even prostitution, because they also bring entertainers here from abroad.)

Drilon castigated the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) for pushing to maintain POGOs in the country despite the social costs.

"Should POGOs remain in our midst given all these information we have? Why are we so in love with POGOs?" Drilon said.

"I am so disappointed that for P8 billion in fees, we're saying we should maintain them... Disgusting is a very mild term of describing your view of POGO operations," he told PAGCOR representatives in the hearing.


ISOLATED CASES?

The Chinese embassy in Manila earlier labelled Chinese-perpetrated crimes in the Philippines as "isolated incidents."

Crimes committed by Chinese nationals in PH are 'isolated incidents', embassy says

"Individual illegal and criminal cases involving Chinese citizens are only isolated incidents and cannot represent the whole picture of China-Philippines relations," the embassy said in a statement.

"The Chinese Embassy firmly opposes any irresponsible remarks based on fake news and condemns any groundless allegations against China out of ulterior political motives," it said. "Individual illegal and criminal cases involving Chinese citizens are only isolated incidents and cannot represent the whole picture of China-Philippines relations," the embassy said in a statement.

"The Chinese Embassy firmly opposes any irresponsible remarks based on fake news and condemns any groundless allegations against China out of ulterior political motives," it said.

Senators earlier said they would soon craft a measure that would declare offshore gambling as illegal in the Philippines.

Senators eye measure to 'stop' POGOs amid spate of 'illicit' activities


More than 3 million Chinese allowed entry into Philippines since 2016 — Immigration data


Photo Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/loan-sharks-feed-off-philippine-casino-boom

More than three million Chinese nationals have been allowed to enter in the Philippines since 2016, coinciding with the rise of President Rodrigo Duterte, who has pulled out all the stops to thaw his country’s frosty ties with China.

A total of 3.12 million Chinese citizens arrived in the Philippines from January 2016 to May 2018, data provided by the Bureau of Immigration to Philstar.com showed.


Source: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/06/09/1823064/more-3-million-chinese-allowed-entry-philippines-2016-immigration-data


Blacklisted Chinese fugitives pay as much as P200K to ‘freely’ enter PH –


For as high as P200,000, a blacklisted Chinese fugitive can “freely” enter the Philippines, an immigration officer who exposed the “pastillas” bribery scheme claimed when he surfaced at the Senate Thursday.

Immigration officer Allison Chiong disclosed the racket during the resumption of the Senate committee on women’s hearing into the alleged link of prostitution and human trafficking to Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos).


Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1231544/whistleblower-claims-blacklisted-chinese-fugitives-pay-as-much-as-p200k-to-freely-enter-ph#ixzz6FuDby8qR Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Duterte: Allow illegal Chinese to work here


President Rodrigo Duterte would rather allow illegal Chinese workers here to stay, as deporting them might trigger tit for tat that could affect 300,000 Filipinos in China.

“The Chinese here, just let them work here. Just let them. Why? We have 300,000 Filipinos in China,” the President said


Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1089496/duterte-allow-illegal-chinese-to-work-here#ixzz6FuDzIq25 Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook


©2019 by bloggersjournalph. Proudly created with Wix.com