300 Filipino teachers to undergo training on teaching Mandarin for Public Schools - philstar.com
Removing Filipino in college to lead to 'cultural genocide' - varsitarian.net
Promoting China in PH gov’t radio station trends for unpleasant reasons - globalnation.inquirer.net
Duterte removed ABS-CBN Promoting Filipino shows: Sorry, don't expect franchise renewal - rappler.com
Promoting China in PH gov’t radio station trends for unpleasant reasons
A program being aired on state-run Radyo Pilipinas that promotes Chinese culture and history is trending online — but for unpleasant reasons.
“Wow China,” a collaboration of Philippines Broadcasting Service (PBS) and China Radio International, appears to be airing in the government radio station since mid-2018.
“Let’s get to know our Chinese brothers for better relations and friendship,” said part of the program’s opening spiel in Filipino.
An episode on May 10, posted on the Facebook page of Radyo Pilipinas, was being shared online over the weekend. With over 200,000 views and nearly 9,000 likes as of 7 p.m. on Monday (May 11), it also generated at least 8,000 angry reactions from netizens. It has drawn so far at least 4,000 comments.
“Why Radyo Pilipinas, you gave time to China? Wow! China, after everything you’ve done to the Philippines, you’re still the good guy in the Philippines!” wrote one Diana Ross Medrina Cetenta in the comments section of the Radyo Pilipinas page.
“What’s the concept and China is being described as Wow? It’s too obvious. Philippine broadcasting but that’s the program name. Why not Wow Pilipinas?” wrote another netixen, Lei Kai Dumayag, in Filipino.
The two hosts, Nimfa Asuncion and Ernest Wang, lightly talked about Mother’s Day and the current quarantine for COVID-19.
Part of the hour-long show also offered Mandarin lessons from a certain Teacher Serenity of the Confucius Institute of the University of the Philippines.
Most of the comments from netizens, who were apparently unaware that the China program had been airing for more than a year, expressed disapproval of the show being aired by a Philippine government station.
“Wow China” did not also sit well with Twitter users, which made it trend as of Monday night.
The Presidential Communications Operations Office has entered into multiple bilateral media and communications agreements with the Chinese government covering communications, media and and information exchanges, and joint production since President Rodrigo Duterte assumed office in 2016.
The public scrutiny of Wow China came weeks after the Chinese embassy-produced music video “Iisang Dagat” (One Sea) sparked outrage outline. It was meant to be a tribute to health workers and others on the frontline in the battle against COVID-19, a disease which originated in China.
But netizens saw the music video as a subtle way by China to assert its claims to nearly the entire West Philippine Sea.
Edited by TSB
300 Filipino teachers to undergo training on teaching Mandarin
The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Confucius Institute to train 300 Filipino teachers on teaching Mandarin.
The DepEd said a memorandum of agreement was signed for the joint training of public school teachers for Master of Arts in Education, Major in Chinese Language Teaching (MAEd CLT).
The program aims to support the sustainable development of the Special Program in Foreign Language (SPFL)-Chinese Mandarin in public secondary schools.
The program, which targets to upskill 300 teachers in the next five years, will be implemented by the Angeles University Foundation of the Philippines and Fujian Normal University of China.
The MAEd CLT scholarship is designed for SPFL Mandarin teachers to enhance their language proficiency and their pedagogical skills in teaching Chinese Mandarin as a foreign language, according to the DepEd.
Chinese embassy cultural counselor Tian Shanting lauded the DepEd for including Chinese Mandarin in the SPFL, noting that the agency is one of the key contributors in the promotion of friendly relations between the peoples of the Philippines and China.
In 2011, Chinese Mandarin was included in the SPFL of the DepEd through the partnership between the Confucius Institute and the Angeles University Foundation in Pampanga.
Some 310 Filipino teachers have been trained to teach Chinese Mandarin, according to the DepEd.
About 11,000 students from 93 public high schools have already studied Chinese Mandarin through the special program, it added.
Removing Filipino in college to lead to 'cultural genocide' - group
A group of Filipino and Panitikan advocates warned Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin of dire consequences should the Supreme Court stick to its ruling affirming the exclusion of Filipino and Panitikan as core subjects from the college curriculum.
In its letter, the group Alyansa ng Mga Tagapagtanggol ng Wikang Filipino (Tanggol Wika) said if the high court affirms its decision, “Filipino and Panitikan will not only be killed as mandatory subjects in college, but Filipino will also be murdered as an effective medium of instruction.”
It said this will go against the Constitution’s “well-defined mandate for Filipino as medium of instruction at all levels of education.”
“We hope to still move the heavens and the earth to stop this imminent cultural genocide, the impending murder of our national language and local literature,” the group added, acknowledging that they filed the letter instead of filing a second motion for reconsideration, which is prohibited under Court rules.
The Supreme Court, in a unanimous vote in October last year, upheld the constitutionality of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Memorandum Order No. 20 (CMO 20) which removed Filipino and Panitikan subjects as part of the core college curriculum.
It upheld its ruling in a resolution dated March 5 this year saying CMO 20 did not violate the 1987 Constitution because it merely transferred these subjects to the curriculum of elementary and high schools.
The Court also ruled CMO only provides for the “minimum standards for the general education component of all degree programs” and does not limit the academic freedom of schools to offer additional courses on these subjects.
But Tanggol Wika said CMO 20 prioritizes the English language over Filipino and Panitikan, noting that the teaching of English language is still required in college.
It said this violates the Constitution which mandates Filipino as the primary official language and English as “merely secondary language.” It added the Constitution itself provides that English’s inclusion as official language may even be removed by law.
“It is a travesty to allow CHED to make a regressive move on language policy, when the Constitution mandates forward action, continuous progress in the process of cultivating the national language,” it said.
The group claimed CHED also ignored the opposition of the Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.
The group also warned that around 10,000 faculty members will be affected by the expected job cuts while millions of students will be deprived of their chance to expand and deepen their ability to use the national language “in a more intellectual way.”
The group invoked the words of Simoun, a character in national hero Dr. Jose Rizal’s novel “El Filibusterismo,” who castigated those who favored Spanish over Philippine languages.
“One and all you forget that while a people preserves its language, it preserves the marks of its liberty, as a man preserves his independence while he holds to his own way of thinking. Language is the thought of the peoples,” the group said.
The filing of the protest letter was accompanied by a brief protest action by around 20 members of Tanggol Wika.
Duterte to ABS-CBN: Sorry, don't expect franchise renewal
The Philippines’ biggest television network will lose its franchise next year, vowed President Rodrigo Duterte in a fresh rant against “oligarchs” on Tuesday, December 3.
"Ang iyong franchise mag-end next year. If you expect ma-renew 'yan, I'm sorry. I will see to it that you’re out," said Duterte during a speech in front of new government officials at Malacañang.
(Your franchise will end next year. If you expect it to be renewed, I'm sorry. I will see to it that you're out.)
This is his 3rd time to make the threat.
ABS-CBN's current franchise, approved through Republic Act No. 7966 on March 30, 1995, is set to expire on March 30, 2020.
If the bill renewing the franchise does not get signed into law, ABS-CBN would have to close down its radio and television operations.
Duterte repeated his threat to ABS-CBN as part of a larger diatribe against powerful corporations he accused of "screwing over" the government, like Ayala Corporation and Manny Pangilinan's Metro Pacific Investments Corporation.
In April 2017, Duterte accused the network of "swindling" him for not airing his paid political advertisements during the 2016 presidential campaign.
Duterte first publicly threatened ABS-CBN days after he signed into law the franchise renewal of its rival, GMA Network. Duterte then repeated his threat to block the renewal of ABS-CBN's franchise in August 2018. (READ: Duterte: If it were up to me, no ABS-CBN franchise renewal)
House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, Duterte's running mate in 2016, said he too has a "personal complaint" against the network.
But he promised the House of Representatives would give ABS-CBN's franchise renewal "due process." The House committee on legislative franchises was to tackle the franchise renewal bill before the end of 2019. – Rappler.com