What we know so far
The latest: At least 17 people are dead in China and more than 500 infected as the Wuhan coronavirus continues to spread throughout Asia and across the world.
People seen queuing for train tickets in Wuhan ahead of a transport lockdown
A photograph shows queues at Wuchang train station in Wuhan, China. Starting on Thursday morning local time, all city transportation will halt, including local buses, ferries, long-distance buses and subways. Wuhan's airport and railway stations will be “temporarily closed” for departing passenger
DOH monitoring infected from China who tested positive for unidentified coronavirus
The Department of Health is investigating the case of a five-year-old boy who arrived from Wuhan City, China and tested positive for a still unidentified strain of coronavirus amid an outbreak of a mysterious illness in the world's most populous country.
Ferchito Avelino, officer-in-charge of DOH's epidemiology bureau, said the child arrived in Cebu City with his mother on January 12. They came to Cebu to study English, Avelino added.
The child exhibited signs of respiratory illness such as fever, cough and throat irritation "prior to entering the Philippines" and was referred for hospital care, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a briefing on Tuesday in Manila.
City of Wuhan stops outbound flights, trains to fight virus
Train stations and the airport were to shut down at 10 a.m. Buses, subways, ferries and long-distance shuttle buses would also be temporarily closed.
Most of the cases are in Wuhan and surrounding Hubei province, but dozens of infections have popped up this week around the country as millions travel for the Lunar New Year, one of the world’s largest annual migrations of people.
A handful of infected people who came from Wuhan have also been found overseas.
No recommendation yet to ban travelers from Wuhan: Palace
There is no recommendation yet to ban visitors from Wuhan, China from entering the Philippines in the meantime, Malacañang said on Wednesday.
Despite the outbreak of a new deadly coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, the Philippine government’s assessment was there was no “alarming level” that might prompt the issuance of a total travel ban on travelers from central China, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
Chinese nationals arriving from Guangzhou, China are seen wearing face masks at the NAIA Terminal 1 on Wednesday, Jan 22.
The country is on high alert, following the outbreak of a "novel coronavirus" which has already killed at least 9 people. Photos by Ben Nabong/Rappler
CORONA VIRUS ALERT
Chinese nationals arriving from Guangzhou, China are seen wearing face mask at the arrival area of Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 Airport Terminal 1 on Wednesday, January 22, 2020 in Pasay City.
The country is on high alert following the outbreak of a new strain of Coronavirus which has affected China and infected more than 400 persons killing at least nine people. 📸 Richard Reyes/Philippine Daily Inquirer