DENR STOPPED DOLOMITE MINING OPERATIONS IN CEBU DUE TO DOLOMITE'S SEVERE DAMAGES OF CORALS IN CEBU


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

Cimatu suspends 2 dolomite mining firms in Cebu; coral reef damage probe ongoing


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) chief Roy Cimatu ordered on Friday the suspension of two mining firms in Alcoy, Cebu, pending results of the investigation on the alleged damages they have caused for dolomite mining.

Operations of the Dolomite Mining Corporation (DMC) for its quarry operations and Philippine Mining Service Corporation (PMSC), a processing plant for dolomite, have been halted by the environment secretary, following an inspection conducted by DENR officials, the Department said in a statement.

According to Cimatu, a probe is already ongoing on the alleged damages on the coral reef, as well as on water and ambient air qualities caused by dolomite mining in the town.


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

Cimatu has directed the DENR-Environmental Management Bureau in Region 7 to conduct a water quality sampling on waters below the conveyor at the ship-loading facility, and ambient air quality.

The Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office-Cebu was ordered by the DENR secretary to determine the health condition of the corals which was the subject of the complaint made by the provincial government.

Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia has earlier ordered an investigation into the damage on the marine ecosystem as shown on aerial photos and videos presented to them.

Garcia had also issued a cease and desist order to DMC and PMSC for selling dolomite rocks as substitute for sand and gravel in the domestic market, which is not covered by their permits. Crushed dolomite rocks from Alcoy had been transported to Manila to fill a stretch of the Manila Bay for its beautification project.


Source: https://mb.com.ph/2020/09/25/cimatu-suspends-2-dolomite-mining-firms-in-cebu-coral-reef-damage-probe-ongoing/


Corals in Alcoy destroyed by heavy siltation from fallen crushed dolomites — Penro


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

CEBU CITY, Philippines —The Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (Penro) found that corals within the 500 meters of seawater in Alcoy town southern Cebu were destroyed because of heavy siltation caused by crushed dolomites that fell to the sea when being transported to the bulk carrier vessel through a conveyor belt.


The Penro recently conducted an aerial survey in the dolomite extraction in Alcoy following the controversy of the transport of dolomite from Alcoy to Manila for the rehabilitation project of Manila Bay.

The Capitol has since disallowed further extraction, selling, and transport of dolomite locally which is beyond the provisions of its mineral production sharing agreement (MPSA) issued by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu


An inspection of the seabed in barangay Pugalo, Alcoy showed heavy siltation and damage to the area’s marine ecosystem, raising the possibility of the issuance of another cease and desist order against the mining firms,” the Capitol said in a news release.

In a meeting last Thursday, September 17, 2020, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia asked the Environmental Management Bureau to investigate the said destruction of the corals following the aerial photos and videos from the inspection showed the damage on the corals.

The meeting was attended by representatives of the EMB, Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the mining firm, and the mineral processing company that operates in Alcoy.

“Penro found that particles from the crushed dolomite fall to the sea when transported to the bulk carrier vessels through a conveyor belt. Initial reports indicated that corals were destroyed within 500 meters of seawater because of heavy siltation, causing the corals and the seabed to turn white,” the Capitol added.


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

Read: Garcia: CDO covers only transport, selling of dolomite in local market

Garcia earlier issued a cease and desist order to the two firms for selling the dolomite as a substitute for sand and gravel in the domestic market without securing the necessary permits from the Capitol and paying for the sold dolomites according to the tax code of the province.

Garcia reiterated that the province was not against the Manila Bay beach nourishment project but of the means that the dolomites used there were taken from the province without the firms paying the 10 percent sharing of the province of the market value of the quarry resource.

Prior to the issuance of the CDO, the firms already transported 7,000 wet metric tons (WMT) of crushed dolomites for the Manila Bay project, according to the ore transport permits issued by the MGB-7.

Provincial Treasurer Roy Salubre said the two firms, based on their initial computation, would have to pay P726,923.077 to the province for the volume of dolomite shipped to Manila./dbs


Source: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/340915/corals-in-alcoy-destroyed-by-heavy-siltation-from-fallen-crushed-dolomites-penro


Alcoy corals ‘damaged’ by crushed dolomite


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

CEBU, Philippines —  The marine ecosystem in Barangay Pugalo in Alcoy town, southern Cebu was damaged due to heavy siltation caused by the extraction of dolomite rocks, Provincial Environment and Natural Resources (PENRO) said.

PENRO, in a report, said corals within the 500 meters of the village’s waters were damaged due to heavy siltation caused by crushed dolomite that fell into the sea during its transfer to bulk carrier vessels by a conveyor belt.

The heavy siltation, PENRO said, has caused the corals and the seabed to turn white.


The PENRO made the aerial survey and inspection following the transport of crushed dolomite to Manila for the rehabilitation of Manila Bay.

Alcoy Mayor Michael Sestoso said he has no personal knowledge of the reported damage.  The mayor has yet to receive a copy of the said report.


If the corals were destroyed, he said, it would be best to ask assistance from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).

“We will request the help of DENR (officials) because they are the ones that have the expertise when it comes to the marine ecosystem,” Sestoso told reporters in yesterday’s telephone conference.


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

Taxes

In a report by Sugbo News, the Capitol-ran news portal, the province has obtained the work program for the extraction of dolomite in Alcoy.


The document, it said, showed conflicting numbers as against the actual production.

Based on their initial computation, Provincial treasurer Roy Salubre Dolomite Mining Corp. (DMC) and Philippine Mining Services Corp. (PMSC) should pay P726,923.077 to the province for the 7,000 tons of synthetic fine sand (dolomite) shipped to Manila.

On September 8, the provincial government stopped the further extraction, selling and transport of dolomite, associated mineral deposits and other quarry resources locally.

Governor Gwendolyn Garcia issued a cease-and-desist order (CDO) against DMC and PMSC.

But the governor clarified that the provincial government was not against DENR’s “white sand” project.

"Let me reiterate. We are not against the Manila Bay beach nourishment project. Wa mi mag apil-apil ana because you (DENR) would always nourish the beach by getting your resources elsewhere. But you are getting resources from the Province supplied by DMC, extracted by DMC, and under the provincial ordinance, our Tax Code, they are supposed to pay 10 percent of the fair market value of the quarry resource,” she said. — KQD (FREEMAN)


Source: https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/cebu-news/2020/09/23/2044469/alcoy-corals-damaged-crushed-dolomite


Cimatu orders suspension of 2 Cebu mining firms amid probe on dolomite damage


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu has ordered the suspension of two mining firms in Alcoy, Cebu pending the results of the investigation on the alleged dolomite mining damage.

DENR Undersecretary Benny Antiporda said in a statement on Friday that Cimatu ordered the suspension as the investigation is ongoing on the alleged damages caused by the dolomite mining on the coral reef, water, and ambient air quality.


“Secretary Cimatu suspended the Dolomite Mining Corporation for its quarry operations and Philippine Mining Service Corporation, a processing plant for dolomite,” said Antiporda.

Cimatu has directed the Environmental Management Bureau Region 7 to conduct sampling on the ambient air quality and on the quality on waters below the conveyor at shiploading facility.

The Environment chief held a two-hour meeting with officials from Dolomite Mining Corporation, the Philippine Mining Services Corporation, local officials and other stakeholders at the mining site.

He also ordered the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office Cebu to determine the health condition of the corals.


"Habang under investigation dito ay mag cease operations muna sila pero nag cease operations naman sila dahil sa cease and desist order of the province. Ang sabi ko kahit wala ang cease-and-desist order na yan they have to stop operations at mag conduct ng investigation muna," Ciimatu told reporters during his visit to Alcoy town on Friday."

[Translation: While there is an ongoing investigation here, operations must cease, but it already did because of the cease-and-desist order of the province. I said even without that, they need to stop operations.]

The stoppage wiill last pending the EMB investigation. If violations are found, Cimatu said operations will be suspended further.

The Cebu provincial government has earlier issued a cease-and-desist order for the unauthorized mineral extraction of the dolomite rocks to be used in the controversial Manila Bay ‘white sand’ layover.

Governor Gwendolyn Garcia issued Executive Order No. 25 preventing the two aforementioned firms from "extracting, processing, selling and transporting dolomite, associated mineral deposits, and other quarry resources."

Dale Israel, CNN Philippines correspondent in Cebu, contributed to this story.


Source: https://www.cnn.ph/news/2020/9/25/Cimatu-orders-suspension-2-Cebu-mining-firms.html


Photo Source: : PENRO-Cebu

©2019 by bloggersjournalph. Proudly created with Wix.com