News Reports compiled in this Website Blog on Mass Lay Offs for 2020
Guide from DOLE to those affected by this massive layoffs for 2020 in the Philippines.
The intention of the website blog is to Help those affected by these Layoffs of 2020. We will start by sharing an Article that will be helpful for those affected.
Laid-off workers can apply for unemployment insurance: DOLE
A certification from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is the basic requirement for involuntarily laid-off employees who wish to apply for unemployment insurance, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said on Tuesday.
In Department Circular No. 01, series of 2019 issued by Bello last week, the issuance of the certificate is included in the guidelines for the laid-off workers to avail of the involuntary separation benefit of the Social Security System (SSS).
In a statement, Bello said the issuance of the guidelines to implement the program which covers eligible SSS-member employees, including kasambahay and overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), who were involuntarily separated from work.
The certification must be secured from the DOLE field or provincial office where applicants reside or from where their company is located.
For OFWs, they can file their application at the Philippine Overseas Labor Office located in the areas where their employers operate or at their residences nearest DOLE field or provincial office.
Those who would like to avail of the unemployment benefit are also required to bring a valid identification card, a copy of the notice of termination issued by the employer, or if not available a duly notarized affidavit of termination of employment.
To qualify for the grant, the employee should not be over 60 years old at the time of involuntary separation; has paid at least 36 monthly contributions, 12 of which should be in the 18-month period immediately preceding the month of involuntary separation.
The applicant has no settled unemployment benefit within the last three years prior to the date of involuntary separation.
The workers must have been involuntarily separated due to “authorized causes,” such as the installation of labor-saving devices; redundancy; retrenchment or downsizing; closure or cessation of operation; or disease/illness of the employee whose continued employment is prohibited by law or is prejudicial to his or her co-employees’ health.
Other individuals that are eligible to file are those who lost jobs due to “just causes” under Article 300 (285) of P.D. No. 442 or the Labor Code of the Philippines; or due to an economic downturn, natural or human-induced calamities/disasters, and other similar cases as may be determined by the DOLE and SSS. (PNA)
PAL lays off 300 personnel after revenue losses due to COVID-19
Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) on Friday announced it will lay off 300 workers due to revenue losses in the wake of the imposed travel ban in countries hit by the COVID-19 outbreak.
“Under the program, PAL implemented a voluntary separation initiative for long-serving employees and a retrenchment process completed on February 28, resulting in the separation of about 300 ground-based administrative and management personnel,” a statement issued by PAL read.
NFA employees lament fate as mass layoff begins
Too young to retire, too old to find a new job.
This was the sentiment of National Food Authority Employees Association (NFAEA) president Maxie Torda following last week’s release of the Rice Import Liberalization Law’s implementing rules and regulations (IRR), which would effectively displace more than a thousand workers of the agency due to downsizing.
According to the technical working group for the law’s IRR, a conservative estimate sees the displacement of 1,134 workers during the first phase of NFA’s restructuring plan, or about 27 percent of its 4,136 workforce nationwide. Read more: https://business.inquirer.net/268265/nfa-employees-lament-fate-as-mass-layoff-begins#ixzz6FGLMoldX Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook
DOH budget cut could lead to layoff of over 7,000 Public Nurses
he proposed PHP9.39-billion cut in the budget of the Department of Health (DOH) for 2020 could result in job losses for some 7,107 public health nurses next year, Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto warned on Thursday.
Recto said one of the major programs to be severely affected by the DOH budget cut is the Human Resource for Health Deployment Program (HRHDP).
He said the HRHDP has a total budget of PHP12.37 billion for this year while a measly PHP2.45 billion is proposed for the program next year, which entails a deep PHP6.05 billion cut.
“7,107 public health nurses ang nangangambang mawalan ng trabaho sa susunod na taon. Kasing dami ng mga isla sa ating kapuluan (7,107 public health nurses could possibly lose their jobs next year. The number is as many as the islands of our country),” Recto said.
“If not reversed, it will turn us into an archipelago of dismissed nurses. It is a kind of hospital discharge that is the most unkind,” he added.
Recto said the PHP2.45 billion would only cover the continuous employment of 3,854 nurses, out of the 17,293 deployed this year.
He, however, noted that there is a pledged augmentation of PHP7 billion from the Miscellaneous Personnel Benefits Fund (MPBF), which means that 6,322 nurses could be funded by the MPBF and the potential total comes up to 10,186 hired and rehired in 2020.
The senator warned that the cut would not only affect nurses but also dentists from the current 202 to zero next year and also technologists from 597 to zero in 2020.
“Lahat-lahat, tinataya ng DOH na 10,921 na health personnel who are currently employed by the program ang masisisante sa 2020 (All in all, the DOH could potentially lose around 10,921 health personnel currently employed by the program in 2020),” he said.
“This is equivalent to 4 in 10. A plague-like 40 percent casualty rate,” he added.
The Senate leader suggested increasing the HRHDP budget to PHP16 billion in 2020 and requiring the additional allocation of PHP6.55 billion to the program’s PHP9.45 billion indicative budget.
“We have to do this because the health professional deployment and dispersal program is one of the lynchpins of the Universal Health Care (UHC) program. Thus, the UHC should be launched with a great leap forward in the number of doctors, nurses, dentists, midwives, medical technologists, and other health workers to unserved and underserved, poor and far-flung areas,” he said.
“The usual pretext of absorptive and procurement problems on why the cuts have to be inflicted, and why critical personnel has to be excised from the communities they serve, does not apply in this case,” he added. (PNA)
800 mine workers face layoff over uncertain license renewal
Melissa Bowerman, Brisbane-based OceanaGold corporate communications manager, said most of the 1,500 employees they maintain would be out of job if the Didipio Mine in this upland town fails to get its FTAA renewed by the end of this month.
“The company will not have the same number of employees by March if we cannot get the FTAA renewed,” Bowerman said, adding some 700 contractors will also be affected.
PH gov’t urged to brace for tourism dip due to virus outbreak
House Deputy Speaker Johnny Pimentel urged the government to brace for a drop in tourism resulting to loss of thousands of jobs due to the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that broke out in China, a major market in the Philippine hospitality industry.
“We have to put together a plan to help these displaced workers transition to other jobs,” Pimentel said in a statement on Sunday, February 23.
Pimentel urged the Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to draw up an emergency skills retooling and jobs plan for thousands of workers facing layoffs.
The House leader also reminded the Social Security System to give out P20,000 in unemployment insurance to workers who would be involuntarilty separated.
No stopping jeepney phaseout — DOTr chief
Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said the Duterte administration is bent on modernizing the country’s public transport and the government will push through with the replacement of old jeepneys and other public utility vehicles (PUVs) despite protests from various groups.
“Past administrations wanted to modernize transportation, but every time people wave flags saying that the program is anti-poor, they take a step back. This has to stop,” Tugade said.
PUV drivers and operators staged a transport strike yesterday to protest the proposed phaseout of old jeepneys and UV Express service vehicles next year.