Thousands of Filipinos Lost their Jobs Abroad Because of the
‘Walang malapitan’: Stranded 'probinsyanos' feel abandoned by Gov’t rappler.com
400,000 OFWs seen to lose jobs to COVID - msn.com
160 OFWs fear growing depression over month-long quarantine - msn.com
OFWs restless: Para kaming basurang itinapon lang - gmanetwork.com
Construction workers stranded in Pasay due to quarantine resort to begging - msn.com
Stranded construction workers to gov't: Allow us to go home - gmanetwork.com
‘Walang malapitan’: Stranded 'probinsyanos' feel abandoned by Gov’t
They are Filipinos chasing opportunity in unfamiliar territory and stranded just the same, but are, in many ways, more vulnerable than OFWs.
They are not given free accommodation in hotels and boarding houses. Most, if not all, have not received the government’s cash aid after local officials asked for voter’s IDs in a locality they do not call home. They have no family members to bail them out, their salaries mostly spent as soon as they came, and the measly funds in their pockets already dried out.
There are lucky ones who have local government units stepping up to book sweeper flights to return them home, but many have not heard from their leaders.
The government categorized them as locally stranded individuals (LSIs). Unlike the OFWs, the government does not have an estimate as to how many LSIs there are, not even in Metro Manila.
Not being afforded the same urgency as their recently returned counterparts, they have felt abandoned by the national government, the local governments of the cities they are stranded in, and the local governments of their homes.
400,000 OFWs seen to lose jobs to COVID
400,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) could be affected by layoffs and salary cuts due to the expected shutdown of offices abroad brought about by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
This will translate into a decline of cash remittances from overseas Filipinos by roughly 10 to 20 percent or between $3 billion to $6 billion this year due to the crises wrought by the pandemic that resulted in falling oil prices in the Middle East.
As a result, they said Filipinos will be affected by the economic disruptions, which will also be driven by the spiraling prices of oil worldwide.
“However, the new coronavirus and the resultant area quarantines and lockdowns are already as globally dispersed as the overseas Filipino population. Countries are now rolling out economic stimulus packages for citizens and critical economic sectors,” the two professors said in their paper.
160 OFWs fear growing depression over month-long quarantine
Among the 160 overseas Filipino workers who had been quarantined for over a month in Pasay despite testing negative for the coronavirus disease 2019, there was a growing fear that their isolation was causing them to fall into a deep depression.
In Raffy Tima's Saturday 24 Oras Weekend report , OFW Shirley said that she was growing restless, especially upon finding that she was negative for the virus
"Parang natutulala na nga rin ako. Totoo po 'yun kasi ako ramdam ko rin mismo sa sarili ko na ganoon na," Shirley said.
On April 26, Shirley's companion OFW from Kuwait committed suicide due to financial problems.
"Nagtatanong siya kung kailan ba tayo makakakuha ng P10,000 sa [Department of Labor and Employment]. Walang-wala po talaga kami," said Shirley.
For another OFW, Arfin, a Lanao del Norte native, being quarantined with his two children offered little consolation as he could tell the quarantine was taking a toll on his kids.
"Hirap na hirap na 'yung isa. Talagang 'yung nanganayat na talaga. Hindi kami makapag-luto dito kung ano 'yung gusto niya," Arfin said.
For those who were contemplating self-harm the Department of Health, together with the World Health Organization, and Natasha Goulbourn Foundation, launched Hopeline, a 24/7 suicide prevention hotline.
Thousands of Filipinos Lost their Jobs Abroad Because of the Coronavirus Pandemic
The pandemic shuts down businesses and industries all over the world – leaving thousands of OFWs out of work and returning home – that lifeline is now under threat.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration chief Hans Cacdac has said up to 45,000 workers could arrive by sea and air this month and next, on top of the 26,700 or so who have already returned.
A flotilla of 17 cruise ships arriving in Manila Bay would normally gladden the hearts of Philippine officials, but not when they are filled with thousands of Filipinos who have lost their jobs abroad because of the
coronavirus pandemic The cruise ships idling in Manila Bay have about 5,000 OFWs on board, local news outlet ABS-CBN has reported – though much like their compatriots who came back by other means, they will not be able to immediately return to their home provinces.
OFWs restless: Para kaming basurang itinapon lang
Like garbage. This was how an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) described the treatment she and other repatriated workers got at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) as they await their flight home.
According to a report by Ian Cruz' report on "24 Oras," the OFWs did not receive food and water ration during their overnight wait. They were also stationed in a hot area near the depot of broken items at the Terminal 2.
"Para kaming basura dito na tinapon lang, oo. Wala kaming kain mula pa kagabi, kahapon pa kami dito, hanggang ngayon," Arlyn Tonquerido said.
"Yan ang bayani na tinatawag nila? Hindi naman bayani 'yun. Kasi mamatay kami sa gutom, hindi kami mamatay sa COVID," she added.
Construction workers stranded in Pasay due to quarantine resort to begging
Nearly 200 construction workers in Pasay City resort to begging to buy food after work was temporarily ceased amid the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine.
According to Marisol Abdurahman's 24 Oras report on Wednesday, 170 construction workers were stranded in their barracks in Pasay City since the lockdown took effect on March 17. Most of them are from Visayas and Mindanao.
Without money for their daily sustenance, they resorted to begging on the streets.
"Nanlimos na kami para lang may makain dito. Lahat ng sasakyan, hinarang namin. Ang hirap talaga eh, walang makain," Eliver Lomojo said.
Some of the workers even climbed the coconut tree in front of their barracks just to assuage their hunger.
"Wala na po eh. Hindi na kami binibisita dito (ng employer)," Domingo Lagon, the foreman, said.
Stranded construction workers to gov't: Allow us to go home
Some 700 construction workers who have been locked up in their barracks along Macapagal Avenue in Parañaque City are appealing to the government to allow them go home to their respective provinces.
They said they have been stranded since Metro Manila was placed under enhanced
community quarantine beginning mid-March to stem the further spread of COVID-19.