*Philippines welcomes 253 OFWs from Kuwait due to COVID-19 crisis-ABSCBN News
*Filipino repatriates from Wuhan going home after showing no COVID-19 symptoms
*23,000 more Filipino seafarers expected to come home due to COVID-19: OWWA | DZMM
*83 Filipinos back in Manila after being stranded in Malaysia due to COVID-19 crisis
*Over 4,600 Filipinos repatriated due to coronavirus outbreak
*163 Filipinos repatriated from Macau arrive in Manila
PH braces for 26,000 OFWs arrivals next few weeks-Yahoo News
The Philippine government is bracing for the arrival of 26,000- 27,000 Filipino land-based and sea-based workers from overseas, a member of the Inter-agency Task Force Group (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases said.
Interior Undersecretary Epimaco Densing III told The Filipino Times that the government is expecting that the OFWs who will fly back to the Philippines in the next weeks will not only come from cruise liners where there are a massive shutdown of services due to coronavirus outbreak.
“There are also land based OFWs who were told by their employers that they could no longer sustain their business and thus, they have to go home,” Densing said.
Rep. Joey Salceda, chairman of the House committee on ways and means, estimated a bigger number of potential displaced OFWs — close to half million Filipinos or 420,000.
“We did a value chain analysis and found that that is in fact a net number. Sa value chain analysis po namin ng major economies and sectors where there are OFWs, we found that up to 420,000 may come home to the Philippines at some point within the next six months, with 170,000 to 180,000 of them coming home because of temporary circumstances,” Salceda, an economist, said.
The Albay lawmaker said the government welfare support should be prepared and mandatory testing for COVID-19 should also be made available to them to prevent a second wave of infection.
“If we cannot test them, that is potentially a massive wave vectors that, if they infect others, could overwhelm the health care system. So they will need to be tested and isolated,” he added.
Philippines welcomes 253 OFWs from Kuwait due to COVID-19 crisis-ABSCBN News
More than 250 overseas Filipino workers (OFW) arrived in the Philippines early Wednesday after being sent home from Kuwait amid the global crisis brought about by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
All 253 Filipinos underwent the proper medical protocols and check-up at the airport as required by the Department of Health's Bureau of Quarantine, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
The repatriates were also reminded to observe strict home quarantine for 14 days.
The repatriation was part of the Kuwaiti government’s precautionary measure to thwart the spread of COVID-19 there.
According to the Kuwait Ministry of Health, as of Wednesday, March 25, there are 195 COVID-19 cases and six of them are Filipino domestic workers who had close contact with their employers who had recent travel history.
The DFA said the repatriated OFWs were provided transportation services to their destinations in Metro Manila or provinces, as the enhanced community quarantine in Luzon was still in effect.
Those who could not yet go home due to the lockdown in Luzon were provided with temporary shelter.
Filipino repatriates from Wuhan going home after showing no COVID-19 symptoms
he first batch of 49 Filipinos quarantined in New Clark City will now be allowed to go home after showing no signs and symptoms of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
In a press conference on Friday, February 21, Department of Health (DOH) Assistant Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said they will be holding a send-off ceremony for the 49 Filipinos on Saturday, February 22, the last day of their 14-day mandatory quarantine.
New Clark City in Capas, Tarlac was designated as the country's quarantine facility to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus. The site was first used in December last year as the Athlete's Village of the Southeast Asian Games.
“On February 22, DOH is set to conduct a send-off ceremony for the 30 repatriates and 19 crew members [and members of the repatriation team] at the New Clark City quarantine facility, which marks their completion of the required 14-day quarantine,” Vergeire said.
“All the quarantined individuals have not shown signs and symptoms of fever, cough or sore throat during their 14-day stay. They will now be allowed to go back to their respective homes and places,” the DOH official added.
Of the 49 repatriates, 30 are overseas Filipino workers who were based in the province of Hubei in China, where COVID-19 – the disease caused by 2019-nCoV – has killed 2,235 people and infected a total of 75,466 as of 3:45 pm on Friday.
23,000 more Filipino seafarers expected to come home due to COVID-19: OWWA | DZMM
Click to watch Video:
83 Filipinos back in Manila after being stranded in Malaysia due to COVID-19 crisis
The Philippines on Sunday welcomed home 83 Filipinos who were stranded in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia after countries restricted air travel amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur said most of the 83 repatriates are Filipinos on temporary visit passes, who got stranded after Kuala Lumpur-Manila flights were canceled on March 18.
In a statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said they repatriated the 83 Filipinos via a special flight of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), which arrived in Manila on Sunday afternoon.
The MAS plane also transported Malaysian nationals to Kuala Lumpur on its return flight, DFA said.
Upon arrival, the Bureau of Quarantine conducted a medical inspection before the repatriates were allowed to disembark.
Over 4,600 Filipinos repatriated due to coronavirus outbreak
As the world continues to grapple with the coronavirus pandemic, the Philippine government has repatriated over 4,600 Filipinos working abroad.
Majority of Filipinos who were brought back home were stranded in cruise ships and countries due to travel restrictions in place to quell the spread of COVID-19.
Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Assistant Secretary Eduardo Meñez said more than 4,600 Filipinos have been repatriated since the start of the outbreak. Of this number, 4,349 were seafarers from cruise ships.
In a series of repatriations, the DFA brought home the following Filipinos over the last week:
445 seafarers from Norwegian Cruise Line ships Dawn and Encore from the United States
436 crew from MV Magica and MV Favolosa from the United States
80 crew from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan
900 seafarers from Norwegian Cruise Line ships Dawn and Star, MSC Armonia, Meraviglia, Seaside, and Divina Cruise ships from Miami, Florida
79 seafarers from Carnival Pride, Carnival Panorama, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Breeze, and MS World Odyssey. They arrived from Miami, Florida.
123 seafarers from Spain, of which 64 were from Marella Celebration and 59 MS World Odyssey
248 crew members of MSC Divina from the United States
201 crew members from MV Carnival Victory from Spain
303 distressed overseas Filipino workers from Kuwait
122 crew of the MSC Fantasia from Italy
185 crew from the MSC Splendida from Portugal
83 crew from MS Breamar from the United Kingdom
86 crew from Carnival Pride from the United States
137 from Carnival Fascination from the United States
301 Filipino workers from Kuwait
16 crew from Amadea from Frankfurt, Germany
The DFA gave assurances that Filipinos who were repatriated were subject to health measures and reviews, and will undergo quarantine, supervised by the Bureau of Quarantine.
Before the series of repatriations in the last week, the DFA earlier repatriated Filipinos from Hubei, China, where the novel coronavirus originated; from a quarantined cruise ship in Japan; from Macau; from a quarantined cruise ship in Oakland, California; and cruise ships docked in Italy.
The Philippines has so far confirmed 3,246 coronavirus cases, including 152 deaths and 64 recoveries.
Worldwide, the death toll has surpassed 65,000, while more than 1.2 million have been infected in 190 countries and territories. – Rappler.com
163 Filipinos repatriated from Macau arrive in Manila
The first batch of Filipinos who were repatriated from Macau arrived in Manila late Saturday afternoon, March 7.
A total of 163 "stranded and distressed" Filipinos arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 via a chartered Air Macau flight that landed at around 4:30 pm on Saturday.
The Department of Foreign Affairs earlier announced that 167 Filipinos were due to arrive, but the total number was 163, composed of 130 adults, 5 children, and, 28 Overseas Workers Welfare Administration members.
Upon arrival at the airport, the repatriates were given a health briefing to guide them on their 14-day self-quarantine. Some of the pointers include wearing a mask when talking to others, disposing of the used mask properly after 8 hours of use, and alerting barangay health workers if they experience any flu symptoms such as cold, cough, and fever.
They also received financial assistance from the government.
The Macau repatriates were among the first batch repatriated from the area amid the continued global spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus. The Philippine government had been coordinating with the Macau government for their return after travel restrictions resulted in lack of direct flights back to Manila.