Amid high unemployment, pandemic layoffs, Dela Rosa tells ABS-CBN workers to find other jobs

Updated: Jul 10


“Hanap ng ibang trabaho para mabuhay, magsumikap. May ibang paraan pa naman siguro para mabuhay tayo hangga’t may ibang jobs,”

“Alangan namang sabihin ko sa kanila na maghimagsik kayo, magwala kayo. Maghanap na lang ng ibang trabaho para mabuhay pamilya ninyo,” Dela Rosa added.


More than 3,000 business establishments have repor­ted a temporary shutdown of operations, while more than 200 have closed down permanently since January this year, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said, adding that the closures affected some 100,000 workers.


Amid high unemployment, pandemic layoffs, Dela Rosa tells ABS-CBN workers to find other jobs


Photo Source: https://www.facebook.com/PhilippineSTAR/photos/a.134754620011561/1847786618708344/?type=3&theater


Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa remarked that thousands of ABS-CBN employees should just “find other jobs” if the Congress fails to renew the network’s franchise despite reports of high unemployment rate and company layoffs amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The neophyte senator in a virtual interview with reporters gave his comments as members of the House of Representatives are expected to wrap up its hearings on Thursday.

“Hanap ng ibang trabaho para mabuhay, magsumikap. May ibang paraan pa naman siguro para mabuhay tayo hangga’t may ibang jobs,” the administration-allied lawmaker said, as quoted by reports.

“Alangan namang sabihin ko sa kanila na maghimagsik kayo, magwala kayo. Maghanap na lang ng ibang trabaho para mabuhay pamilya ninyo,” Dela Rosa added.

He continued that workers of different companies were also affected by job closures amid the pandemic, not just ABS-CBN.

However, the senator admitted that he has not yet studied the potential economic impacts of the media giant’s closure in relation to government tax revenues.

ABS-CBN Corporation and its subsidiaries employ some 11,000 workers, based on ABS-CBN News.

READ: ABS-CBN’s franchise woes: Jobs of thousands, ‘joy’ of millions on the line

While its chief executive officer previously said that the company would not layoff workers “for three months,” its news website said it “has been losing P30-35 million in advertising revenues daily since regulators forced it off air.”

The bigger picture

Meanwhile, Dela Rosa’s remarks were not so well-received by some members of the local online community who pointed out that potentially losing a job is challenging amid an ongoing public health crisis.

“Alam mo bang may retrenchment at layoffs na nagaganap??? Clearly, wala ‘tong pakialam sa manggagawang Pilipino. Gusto mo pang dagdagan ‘yung mga nagugutom ha? Papakainin niyo ba? Pagaaralin ang mga anak? Ha, ano?” a Twitter user said in response to the lawmaker’s comments.

“Parang ang dali nman maghanap ng trabaho. Ang dami nga nawalan dahil sa pandemic,” remarked another online user with a pleading eyes emoji. 

A Filipino questioned if Dela Rosa, who previously drew flak for his “sarap ng buhay” remark amid a hybrid plenary session, had done something to actually boost the available jobs in the workforce.

RELATED: ‘Sana all’: Bato’s ‘Sarap ng Buhay’ sigh of relief called out amid COVID-19 crisis

“The audacity of you to say na hanap lang na trabaho. As if naman may ginawa kang paraan para maraming trabaho sa bansa natin. Aral din tayo sir ‘pag may time po,” she said.


Source: https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/amid-high-unemployment-pandemic-layoffs-dela-rosa-tells-abs-cbn-workers-to-find-other-jobs/ar-BB16wR0u?li=BBr8Mkn


Shutdown of 3,000 companies affects 100,000 workers


More than 3,000 business establishments have repor­ted a temporary shutdown of operations, while more than 200 have closed down permanently since January this year, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said, adding that the closures affected some 100,000 workers.

Bello said he had received reports that 3,012 companies have closed down temporarily amid the COVID-19 pandemic that prompted President Duterte to place Luzon under a strict lockdown in mid-March in an effort to contain the spread of the new coronavirus.

The labor official said he would meet with senators to discuss how the labor department could continue its COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program meant to provide cash assistance to displaced workers in the formal sector.

Bello said he was banking on the business process outsourcing (BPO) sector and the government’s public works and transportation projects to generate more jobs and help the economy bounce back.


Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III meanwhile called for the opening of the economy, especially in Metro Manila and the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) region, saying that Filipinos should learn to live with the “new reality” that the virus was not going away anytime soon, “and we’d have to live with it for a long period of time.”

In a meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday, Dominguez said Metro Manila and Calabarzon should move to a modified general community quarantine level as soon as possible “because people have to start working.”

Dominguez noted that 67 percent of the industries and businesses in the country are based in the two areas, which remain mostly under general community quarantine. Only barangays and companies that report an increase in COVID-19 cases should be put on lockdown, he said.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque meanwhile said the administration was moving toward opening up the economy “so that people will now have a livelihood and not just be alive physically,” he said in a television interview.

Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon on Wednesday said he supported Dominguez’s proposal to ease restrictions in the country’s two main business centers, adding that prolonging strict quarantine measures in Metro Manila and Calabarzon would further cripple the economy.


Source: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1300498/shutdown-of-3k-companies-affects-100k-workers/amp?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR1tj-JzS92UwrWbi4iIHHDXQPIt7Ks2W1wbDtvlSh-gS4bmTT2lwWqcwek


San Juan neighborhood bar Moksha to close after 18 years

Moksha, considered a neighborhood institution in San Juan, is set to close after 18 years.

One of the owners, Marc Soong, announced in a Facebook post that the bar will serve customers until July 6.


"All good things come to an end," he said.

Soong went on to assure the public that "there is no sadness" and "there are no problems" as Moksha will "just quietly slip away into the realm of good memories."

He then gave out a phone number for those who want to make reservations before they close.

Dubbed "your home away from home," Moksha is known for serving alcoholic drinks and bar chow, as well as comfort food dishes.

Early this month, it started offering a limited menu for takeout and delivery as most people continue to stay at home amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.


Source: https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/06/30/20/san-juan-neighborhood-bar-moksha-to-close-after-18-years?fbclid=IwAR2umGbtCGTbgV6OSJDAMpF4ipB2KwsZa9ngQW8Q0p0BtJZ5ZCEKneGsNIM


Comedy bars Zirkoh, Klownz permanently close amid pandemic

Comedy bars owned by television host and comedian Allan K were permanently closed due to the economic effects of coronavirus disease pandemic.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Actor Phillip Lazaro bid farewell to comedy bars Klownz located along Quezon Avenue, Quezon City and Zirkoh at Tomas Morato, Quezon City.

“Sa aking mga kasama at kapatid sa Klownz at Zirkoh, let us all say a little prayer for one another and hug each other in our hearts. Sa aming mga napatawa at napasaya sa mga lumipas na taon, the pleasure was definitely ours,” Lazaro said.

(To my friends at Klowns and Zirkoh, let us all say a little prayer for one another and hug each other in our hearts. To all those who laughed at our jokes and were happy at our performances in the past years, the pleasure was definitely ours.)

Comedy bars Zirkoh, Klownz permanently close amid pandemicBy: Consuelo Marquez - Reporter INQUIRER.net / 06:52 PM June 30, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Comedy bars owned by television host and comedian Allan K were permanently closed due to the economic effects of coronavirus disease pandemic. In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Actor Phillip Lazaro bid farewell to comedy bars Klownz located along Quezon Avenue, Quezon City and Zirkoh at Tomas Morato, Quezon City. “Sa aking mga kasama at kapatid sa Klownz at Zirkoh, let us all say a little prayer for one another and hug each other in our hearts. Sa aming mga napatawa at napasaya sa mga lumipas na taon, the pleasure was definitely ours,” Lazaro said. (To my friends at Klowns and Zirkoh, let us all say a little prayer for one another and hug each other in our hearts. To all those who laughed at our jokes and were happy at our performances in the past years, the pleasure was definitely ours.) Comedienne K Brosas was also saddened over the closure as she acknowledged Allan K and Lito Alejandria, general manager of the establishments. “Haaay… nakaka sad naman.. Grabe din ang Utang na loob ko SA klownz at Zirkoh.. Salamat po mama lits at Allan k.. SA lahat NG naka trabaho ko Salamat din po.. madami ako natutunan,” she wrote in a Facebook post. (This is sad. I have a lot to thank for Klownz and Zirkoh. Thank you lits and Allan K and all of my co-workers. I learned a lot.)


Source: https://entertainment.inquirer.net/381269/comedy-bars-zirkoh-klownz-permanently-close-amid-pandemic


Baguio's Forest House closes after 19 years

A beloved restaurant in Baguio City has permanently closed its doors after 19 years.

Forest House, known for offering home-cooked meals and a lovely view of the mountains, announced the sad news in a Facebook post on Tuesday.


"Whether you dropped by for a cup of coffee or a feast with your family, we thank you for your support. We are glad that Forest House became a part of your dining experience. But unfortunately, an era comes to an end. Forest House is closing its doors," it said.

"We are grateful for the last 19 years. Each time you entered, we warmly welcomed you; and as you left, we thanked you and bid you goodbye. But this time we say our last farewell," it added.

Commenting on the Facebook post, loyal customers of Forest House thanked the restaurant's team and shared their happy memories at the establishment. 

Forest House, which did not mention the exact reason behind the closure, joins the growing number of restaurants in the country that have ceased operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. 


Source: https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/06/30/20/baguios-forest-house-closes-after-19-years?fbclid=IwAR0RMiIrRA2Mz1MYjA8crasFNET8QRx41pCKjAY2RstS8FQpOKAU8zBFiII


https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1300642/baguio-citys-forest-house-closes-down?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR02HTNCaqSDcTgvji2sCvwZRdaySAFtC4p8Hq13y8e941wMQky2wwab5do#Echobox=1593663016


Related Articles:

400 Private Schools to Close,Starts Layoff of Teachers&employees.DepEd: Enrollees declined by Half

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/400-private-schools-to-close-starts-layoff-of-teachers-employees-deped-enrollees-declined-by-half


90% Jeepney & Bus Drivers Hungry, Starving, Some Homeless After evicted,Now Begging-Transport Group

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/90-jeepney-bus-drivers-hungry-starving-some-homeless-after-evicted-now-begging-transport-group


Jobless Filipinos Balloon at All-Time High to 7.3 Million in 2020

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/jobless-filipinos-balloon-at-all-time-high-to-7-3-million-in-2020


400k OFW lost jobs, 200k Refused to Return to PH;Over 1M OFW to lose jobs by 2021

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/400k-ofw-lost-jobs-200k-refused-to-return-to-ph-over-1m-ofw-to-lose-jobs-by-2021


3.2 Million Filipino workers & 400 Thousand Overseas Filipino Workers face unemployment.

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/3-2-million-filipino-workers-400-overseas-filipino-workers-face-unemployment-are-you-one-of-them


Wala nang Maipadala ang mga OFW na nawalan ng Trabaho dahil sa COVID19 Pandemic

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/wala-nang-maipadala-ang-mga-ofw-na-nawalan-ng-trabaho-dahil-sa-covid19-pandemic


PH braces for 26,000 OFWs arrivals next few weeks-Yahoo News

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/ph-braces-for-26-000-ofws-arrivals-next-few-weeks-yahoo-news


Over 4,600 Filipinos repatriated due to coronavirus outbreak

Source: https://www.rappler.com/nation/257079-filipinos-repatriated-coronavirus-outbreak-april-5-2020


Thousands of Filipinos to Lose Jobs as More Companies to Move Out of PH after Lockdown

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/thousands-of-filipinos-to-lose-jobs-as-more-companies-to-move-out-of-ph-after-lockdown


MORE PH MASS LAYOFFS 2020: PAL 300;NFA 1,134;Public Nurses 7,000;Oceanagold 800;Tourism Thousands

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/more-ph-mass-layoffs-2020-pal-300-nfa-1-134-public-nurses-7-000-oceanagold-800-tourism-thousands


Philippines Opens Up To More Chinese Workers, As Filipinos Struggle to Seek Jobs Overseas-FORBES

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/philippines-opens-up-to-more-chinese-workers-as-filipinos-struggle-to-seek-jobs-overseas-forbes


Tax Violator POGOs,Top Tax Payer BPOs fight for limited office space in Philippines-BUSINESSWORLD

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/tax-violator-pogos-good-tax-payer-bpos-fight-for-limited-office-space-in-philippines-businessworld


Thousands More Filipinos to Lose Jobs as Nokia, Honda,Nissan & WellsFargo will Leave Ph by 2020

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/thousands-more-filipinos-to-lose-jobs-as-nokia-honda-nissan-wellsfargo-will-leave-ph-by-2020


PH: MILLIONS JOBS LOST& THOUSANDS Businesses& Factories Closed;Mass Transport Shutdown on COVID19

https://www.bloggersjournalph.com/post/ph-millions-jobs-lost-thousands-businesses-factories-closed-mass-transport-shutdown-on-covid19


©2019 by bloggersjournalph. Proudly created with Wix.com